Friday, January 18, 2013

Looks Like We Made It

Well, I'm officially here in Florence. The flights were unremarkable (except for a woman strangely wrapping cookies in individual bags...) and getting to the school was no problem.

The city is molto bella (very beautiful). It's almost unreal. The Duomo is incredible in person - pictures do not do it justice. And it's only 5 minutes walking from my apartment - score!!

The apartment is big but quaint. Mostly just like what I expected. Roommates are nice (so far...dun dun dunnnnnn) but we're getting three more in two weeks, so that will be interesting. I promise pictures will be up at some point, but not right now.

Today we had our orientation where we learned exactly how many times they can repeat the same information before you want to jump off a cliff. I know it's important, but really, how many times do you need to tell me to not take drinks from strangers?? I don't even do that in the US!!

After orientation, we grabbed lunch at the LDM cafeteria (really just a small cafe) and walked around the city. Saw the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio and other random sights (like the H&M). Yessss.

Then, it was time for the welcome dinner from LDM for the UNC students. It was at Acqua del 2. It. Was. Incredible. 3 courses: pasta, chicken and dessert. 5 kinds of pasta including spinach, broccoli, pumpkin, ragu and spicy tomato (with all different kinds of pasta), chicken with rosemary (delicious) and tiramisu, cheesecake, brownie and a kind of torto. And of course, no Italian meal would be complete with some nice Chianti. Definitely going back to that restaurant.

I think that's all for now. Tomorrow should hold more adventures, including navigating the market place...wish me luck!!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment