Thursday, September 8, 2011

Budget-Friendly And DELICIOUS Meal (for all you poor college kids like me)

So I moved off-campus this year, which means I've been having to cook for myself.  Needless to say, I've been eating a lot of sandwiches.  And there is nothing wrong with that!  I could probably survive on sandwiches for every meal of the day: a McMuffin type thing in the morning, a cold sandwich for lunch, a hamburger for dinner, and an ice cream sandwich for dessert! (Doesn't that sound delicious? Maybe I'll have an entire sandwich day.  I'll keep you posted.)  But anyway, one thing I've been eating and now have almost perfected making is really good tuna salad.  And it's super easy, pretty cheap and delicious!  Here's how I make it:

What You Need
- TUNA (Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore is my go-to.  And you can get as much as you like.  I like to make a fair amount at once to save time.)

- MAYONNAISE (I usually get light mayonnaise to try to cut out some of the fat.  And the fat-free is just gross.  But if you're going whole hog, get regular mayo!)

- SWEET RELISH (I love this stuff, and I can honestly eat it by itself.  So I put a lot in, but you can again, do whatever you wish.  That's the fun!)

- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE (Maybe that didn't need to go in all-caps.)

How You Make It
1. Open and drain your tuna.  (Draining is really easy.  Just press the lid into the open tuna, and tilt it so the juice runs into the sink.)

2. Put tuna into your storing container.  (I tend to mix the tuna right in the tupperware I'm storing it in to save on dishes used.  But if you would rather have a separate bowl for mixing, go right ahead.)

3. Put in your mayonnaise.  (Okay, this is where you really choose how much you want.  Remember, you can always add things but can't take them out.  So I suggest to start with a little and taste it along the way.  Generally, if I'm making three of the small cans from Bumble Bee, I'll put in about two tablespoons of mayo.  You want the consistency where you can still see the tuna chunks, but it's pretty creamy.  Okay, stop crying and whining about how I'm not being specific and just make your tuna, you babies.)

4.  Put in your sweet relish.  (Again, it's however much you want, but I usually do about two tablespoons again, for the three small cans.  But really, you can't mess up the relish.  It's. So. GOOD.)

5.  Mix it around, until it's all blended together.  (Did anyone else just have a SpongeBob flashback where he's trying to teach Squidward how to blow bubbles?  And he sings "Bring it around town, BRING IT AROUND"? Nope? Just me?)

6.  Now taste, add anything you think you need more of, including salt and pepper.  (I don't really know how to elaborate on this step.  Just eat the tuna and fix what you think you need to fix and you'll be set.)

7.  EAT YOUR DELICIOUS, HOMEMADE, ALMOST-HEALTHY TUNA SALAD!!!

Okay usually there's a step 6.5 where I let it sit overnight to really let all the flavors combine and become more of a tuna salad than a combination of the various ingredients.  But that's completely optional.  You can of course eat it right away!

Some Ideas for Meals With Your Tuna Salad
- Tuna Sandwich (Put the tuna on the bread.  DONE.)

- Tuna and Crackers (Put the tuna on delicious crackers, like Triscuits.  Yum.)

- Just Tuna (Just eat it plain.  It's delicious!)

- Tuna Melt? (Is this a real thing? I might be making this up, but I think some people like a hot tuna sandwich.  You could toast bread, heat up the tuna, and make a sandwich.  Or put it in a panini press, but if you're like me and making tuna is a highlight of the week YOUR LIFE, you probably don't have a panini press.)

So that's all I think have to say about tuna.  Truly, a favorite food of mine.  So next time you're looking for something to eat, try tuna and be your own chef.  You could even narrate your cooking by pretending you're on Iron Chef America against Bobby Flay (yuck.  Bobby Flay).  And you beat him with your AWESOME TUNA!

Sending-delicious-tuna-your-way,
The Renaissance Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment