Thursday, August 25, 2011

Classical Music You'll Acutally Like

So, I guess another big part of my personality is that I'm a band geek.  I really like music.  And not just Top 40 stuff but music like Frank Sinatra, even Mozart (although really, who doesn't like Britney Spears?). 

Okay, you're being just a little dramatic clutching your heart and gasping for air over there, why don't you calm down.  Some of it is actually really good! 

So, every so often (or whenever I feel like it), I'm going to post a piece of music that you probably haven't heard before or even know exists but one that is worth listening to.  Therefore, my inaugural post of "Classical Music You'll Actually Like" is "The Promise of Living" by Aaron Copland.

Copland was an American composer who wrote everything from film scores to symphonies to operas, and this piece comes from his opera called "The Tender Land."  The opera tells the story of a Midwestern farm family, trying to make ends meet. 

This particular piece breathes hope into all who hear it, and it's impossible to be sad while listening (Wasn't that deep? And I wrote that myself!).  This YouTube video has an incredible recording of the piece paired with some old film reels, and it is truly stunning.



So go watch it, thank me later, realize that not all classical music is awful, and eagerly await for the next installment of "Classical Music You'll Actually Like."
Forever-singing yours,
The Renaissance Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment